In recent decades, many carpenters or woodworkers have been using manual hand planers. But with the advancement in technology, now they are using an electric handheld planer. The electronic handheld planer is a useful and handy tool for straightening and resurfacing wood pieces easily and quickly. This tool provides great value to all woodworkers or carpenters. In all honesty, it can be used for removing the material or smoothening a piece of wood with superior precision. Unlike traditional manual planers, which were tiresome and inefficient to use, this one has got some significant improvement. The recent models feature a powerful motor that drives cutting blades efficiently and at high speed for efficient and fast sanding. Apart from that, they feature depth gauge that plays an essential role in cutting different depths with precision.
However, finding the perfect hand planer can be an overwhelming task. The reason being, there are many different product models, and brands with unique features choose from. But luckily enough, we showcase the list of ten best electric handheld planer for you.
List of Best Electric Hand Planers in 2023
No products found.
#10. TACKLIFE EPN01A Electric Hand Planer
The TACKLIFE EPN01A is a great electric hand planer for the handling of stubborn doors and other woodwork. It has a 710W motor that is made with pure copper, this motor delivers about 33,000 cuts a minute and hence promises a smooth cut and efficient performance. A double switch is also a desirable safety aspect of this planer that help in preventing possible accidents.
And to reduce fatigue and provide a comfortable grip, this planer has a rubber-coated handle. And along with that, there is a rubber drive belt that delivers enhanced belt durability. Also, there is a spring-loaded stand that uplifts the tool to protect the tool’s resting spot and blade.
- Dual-mount guide fence & no-mar plastic overshoe
- Power: 6Amp/710 W
- Blade drum alongside two double-sided blades
- Ratcheting depth knob for depth increments and allow fool-proof setting
- Dual switch and exhaust ports
- Rpm: 16500Rpm
- Automatic Kickstand
The aluminum rear and front shoes will not rust or deform, lasts up longer compared with iron shoes on much another wood planer. With 16500 RPM motor rotation, this planer promises smooth finish and fast stock removal in hard and softwoods, providing exceptional efficiency and power.
#9. Lomvum Electric Power Hand Planer
Next on our list is this electric hand planner from Lomvum. Firstly, it comes with a pure copper 6.25-amp powerful motor. With its sharp double blade roller, this hand planner provides up to 33000 cuts in one minute. Secondly, it features a V-shape groove. This multi-shape groove provides perfect chamfers hence flattening sharp corners.
Thirdly, this electric hand planer allows 360° rotation, therefore able to adjust its cutting depth. In other words, it has 30 positive stops. Its width is adjustable to boot.
- Weighs 7.25 pounds
- Multi-size V-shaped groove for easy chamfering
- Metric Depth Scales included
- Powerful Pure Copper 6.25-Amp motor
With metric depth scales, setting the planing depth is easy. Lastly, it includes a big dust bag to prevent sawdust splashing.
#8. Ryobi HPL52K 6 Amp Hand Planer
Larger scale construction jobs require large pieces of lumber to be sheared down to an appropriate size for even builds. A hand planer is a right tool from Ryobi to get them perfectly shorn. Pleasingly enough, the Ryobi HPL52K has a potent 6-amp depth planer, which can rotate at 16,500 RPM.
Moreover, rubber over-mold is also another vital feature of this planer. This rubber helps in keeping friction high when the tool and your hands get into contact allowing better control in slippery surroundings.
- Has dual dust ports
- Grip zone over-mold
- Rear-mounted kickstand
- Adjustable depth function
This planer has a kickstand that prevents it from defacing your wood surfaces.
#7. Goplus 3-1/4-Inch Electric Hand Planer
The Goplus electric hand planner boasts of solid construction. It’s hard to disagree since this is evident from its sturdy die-cast aluminum housing. Remarkably, this casing protects the planer blades while ensuring safety when working. It also includes a top-notch contoured handle.
Other than planing, this equipment can also be used for rabbeting and chamfering various wood types. Further, it’s very light in weight. As a result, it’s convenient for carrying around. Compared to a manual planer, it’s ten times more efficient.
- Rigid die-cast aluminum casing supports its drum for improved durability
- Equipped with a convenient trigger switch
- Characterized by the contoured top handle
- Sturdy foot base
It’s very easy to operate with a single trigger switch. Also, it includes other accessories. These include a blade sharpener and clear instructions.
#6. Triton TPL180 1500W, 7-Inch Triple-Blade Planer
This Triple-Blade Planer from Triton comes with a 3-blade drum design that helps in delivering a smoother finish and superior cutting action. It also features depth control knob with a 10-position of adjustment for precise removal of material.
Adjustable front handle alongside soft grip is another great feature of Triton TPL180 for added comfort. So too, this planer can handle even hardwoods with the aid of Powerful 1500w motor. Lucky for you, the package includes set guide fence, wrench, dust connector, and three 65Mn blades. There is also an over-molded, non-slip rubber grip that offers increased safety, support, and control.
- Come with 3-blade drum design for superior cutting action
- Set guide fence and Instruction manual included
- Fence securing screws
- Has ten-position depth control dial
- Dust extraction adapter
- Adjustable bail handle for better control and support
- Primary Construction Material: Aluminum
- Powerful 1500w motor
This planer has an adjustable bail handle that provides superior control and support.
#5. Makita KP0810 3-1/4″ hand Planer
Another good electric hand planer is this one by Makita. With a two-blade cutter and a 7.5-amp motor, this hand planer can provide up to 1000 RPM. Furthermore, it comes with an easy-to-read scale on its depth-adjustable knob.
The scale has to click stops at 0.1 mm increments to facilitate precise planing. Its front base provides three chamfering groove options. That is roughly 4mm, 3mm, and 1.4mm. Also, chip ejection can be focused on either side of the equipment for convenience.
- Two-blade cutter head
- Spring-loaded stand for the base elevation
- Side directed chip ejection
- Depth adjust knob includes an easy-to-read scale
It includes a die-cast aluminum housing. Besides, it consists of a spring-loaded stand to elevate the base. Therefore, the workpiece and blades stay protected.
#4. Bosch PL1632 3-1/4″ 6.5 Amp hand Planer
This PL1632 Planer from Bosch has a unique planer-guidance system that helps in delivering better performance, security, and convenience. This hand planer features 6.5 Amp motor which delivers 16,500 RPM for smooth finishes and fast stock removal. Besides, the planer’s ambidextrous lock-off release knob helps in preventing accidental starts. And for extended operation, this planer features a lock-on button.
What’s more, the aluminum rear & front shoes are precision-integrated together for accuracy. So too, there is a blade design that counterbalances the blade and put them at a perfect cutting angle. Also, it is characterized by a reversible micro-grain carbide blade.
- Motor speed: 16,500 RPM
- Dual-mount guide fence alongside the protective shield
- Poly-micro-V drive belt
- Spring-loaded stand
- Optimally-angled handle
- Powerful motor with 6.5 Amp
This hand planer has a spring-loaded stand for elevating the planer to safeguard the blade.
#3. DEWALT DCP580B 20V Brushless hand Planer
With a brushless motor, the DEWALT electric hand planer can provide up to 32000 cuts per minute. Besides, this hand planer has a maximum depth cut of roughly 2mm. Even with such depth, it achieves a fast removal rate. Another key feature is its calibrated adjustment knob. This provides the utmost precision when adjusting.
On top of that, its precise back and front aluminum shoes ensure parallel cuts. It also comes with a kickstand allowing the user to rest it without gouging the material. Then again, it includes a groove at the front to facilitate edge chamfering.
- It weighs 6.8 pounds
- Brushless motor runtime: 32,000 cuts a minute
- Precision-machined back and front aluminum shoes guarantee parallelism of cut
- Poly-V drive belt offers increased belt durability
- No-load speed: 15000 rpm
- Depth adjustment knob
The DEWALT electric hand planer comes with a poly-V drive belt for enhanced durability. Unlike manual planers, it also includes an ideal designed handle. This reduces user fatigue and ensures comfort.
#2. PORTER-CABLE PC60THP 6-Amp, 5/64-Inch Hand Planer
This PC60THP Hand Planer from PORTER-CABLE has a heavyweight 6-amp motor that provides smooth shear in hard materials. It also promises smooth material removal with load free speed of 16,500 rpm. This 5/64-inch planer weighs 8.45 pounds.
Furthermore, this planer features double-sided dust extraction, which allows for a clean working area. Equally important, the over-mold depth knob is also an additional feature that provides 10-positive steps. This allowed for various depth control settings and improved planer control, alongside three chamfering grooves for selections on edge chamfering.
- Dual-sided dust extraction
- Heavy-duty 6 amp motor
- Over-mold depth knob alongside ten positive steps
- Weighs 8.45 pounds
- Three chamfering grooves for edge chamfering
The cast aluminum shoe offers better finish quality and added control.
#1. WEN 6530 6-Amp 3-1/4-Inch Electric Hand Planer
Finally, on our list is the WEN electric hand planer. Having a 6-amp motor, it can deliver up to 34000 cuts per minute. With an outstanding cutting width and depth, this hand planner could be the solution to squaring and fitting your boards.
Moreover, it features 16 positive stops for precision when adjusting its depth anywhere between 0 to 1/8 inches. More importantly, it comes with a V-shaped groove to facilitate the chamfering of boards with sharp corners. Remarkably, the WEN electric hand planer is very lightweight, having only 6 pounds.
- Parallel Fence Bracket
- Has 16 Positive Stops
- Includes 6-Foot Power Cord
- Has retractable Kickstand
- Blade Adjustment Wrench
- Weighs 8 pounds
- Two-Year Warranty
- Lightweight design
This tool can make rabbets measuring up to 7/10 inches. This is stress-free since the package includes a rabbeting guide.
Electric Hand Planer Buying Guide
- Lightweight: The light model will always relieve you from fatigue and discomfort. The lightweight model is better, especially if you are using the tool for long hours to undertake large projects. The most significant thing is to target the proper balance between weight and power.
- Build Construction: Since an electric handheld planer can withstand wear-and-tear after routine workings, it is significant to pick a model that features a superior build quality. Typically, branded handheld planers are constructed of premium-grade materials to provide rigid quality control. The best quality has a base, which is built with a smooth and non-resistant metal alloy for better maneuverability.
- Blade: Many electric planers feature single HSS blades, but sport carbide blades are the best model. Furthermore, the superior models are those with dual-edge carbide blades as these blades can shear through hard material with greater ease and much faster.
- Fence: The other aspect that the best electric planer has a fence. This fence provides accuracy, control, and better-cutting speed. Ideally, you’re on-the-safest-side if your ideal option offers an inbuilt fence. Nevertheless, bear in mind that such models seem to be more costly.
In sum, the hand planer listed above has got plenty of features that help you in achieving the best experience. As we have noted, this review has an electric handheld planer for every budget and need. Whether you are in pursuit of the reliable, durable, or pocket-friendly model – you will get it here! Good luck!